How It Works

What you need to know

We understand that organising a wedding can be a complex and stressful endeavour, especially if you are planning to get married abroad. Due to different regulations and bureaucracy, a little extra work is required in order to gather all the paperwork necessary for your Italian ceremony to be legally binding.

In the section below you will find some examples of the documents required for UK and US citizens to be able to marry in Italy. If one of the spouses is of a different nationality (e.g. Wales or Ireland) the procedure changes, and different paperwork is required.

Other countries require different documents depending on your and your significant other's nationalities... but do not worry, our team can help you with the legal side of things, to ensure you are ready to go for the big day.
On the other hand, if you want to avoid the stress and just enjoy the party, we suggest a ritual symbolic ceremonie for your Italian getaway and a civil marriage in your home country.

Requirements and Documents for UK Citizens

Each spouse will require:

1. A certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) released by your local register office (around £35) to be legalised and translated to Italian by an approved translator.

Contact your local register office to make an appointment and to find out what additional documents you will need to provide to get your CNI (differences apply to Scotland, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey).

In general, the documentation to bring to your CNI appointment is:
* valid passport
* birth certificate
* national identity card from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
* certificate of registration
* certificate of naturalisation
* biometric residence card or permit
* travel document

2. A bilingual statutory declaration to be signed in front of a British public notary or solicitor

Click here to download: Standard Statutory Declaration Template